Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Follow the Bouncing Ball

Remember the old sing-alongs where the words would light up and there was a bouncing ball telling you when to sing each word. I feel like I'm following that same bouncing ball, but in a different way. I feel like the bouncing ball is my emotions and health, but all I can do is just keep singing along with the bouncing ball. A week ago I was on top of the world- my room was clean, work was going well, I didn't feel sick, and I felt balanced and in control. Then the ball bounced. Last Thursday I crashed hard. I slept from Thursday at 2 until Saturday at about 11. I did wake up to eat and go to the bathroom, but other than that I was pretty dead to the world. I did make it to Erek's play Saturday night and I was really glad I went. I forget how much it means to have people come to your performances. I went to church on Sunday and then I was done. I was exhausted again. I stayed home Monday and got a bunch of homework done and re-cooped mentally. I was feeling really discouraged because I had been so sick. I was sick of being sick. I was discouraged that I might not be able to serve a mission if I couldn't be healthy for more than a few weeks at a time. I had to work really hard to get out of the funk. I had to recognize that it was Satan that wanted me to feel down, and because I realized that I can start my papers next week (I had to wait until I would have enough money), he was working extra hard. I did have the fantastic fact that I was on my period, but the pain of my cramping was dramatically decreased! All I needed was ibuprofen- no pain killers! Which means that I won't have to worry about that on my mission. I was afraid that once every three months I'd be down and out for a week, which is not acceptable, but I won't even be down for a day! I really do have a lot to be thankful for. Life is really busy right now, my grades won't be the greatest this semester, I'm not getting things like laundry and cleaning done regularly, but I'm on track for my mission. I'm working hard. I'm working long hours, and I'm succeeding. So while the bouncing ball does occasionally hit the bottom, it spends more time in the air. If the ball stops bouncing, the song ends. My song is not going to end. I'll keep on bouncing.

0 comments: